The old cuss has landed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The old cuss has landed

Post by FadedInk on Sat May 28, 2016 1:18 am

I registered and posted an intro over on scratcherstattooforum, but reset818 kindly informed me that the forum has moved to here. I'd just read a few posts, and it looked like good folks, so I joined up. Oh well.

I'll just paste my intro from here, hope that's ok..

Ok, I'm not great at these intro things.

I'm not really a beginner since I learned tattoo about 30 yrs ago. Still have some of my old gear, the coolest bits being an old Spaulding and Rogers Puma machine and my old ultrasonic cleaner.

But I haven't laid any ink in over 20 yrs, so I've been going through the same beginner steps I did years ago when I got Token Tom's "Tattoos A-Z" and bugged Tom and sometimes Huck Spaulding with a crapload of the usual beginner questions over the phone.

All my old work on myself is of course faded, since I didn't ever touch it up. I'm not interested in going to a shop to have it redone because then it wouldn't be my artwork anymore. It would be some other artist's interpretation and enhancement of it. So gear back up, get the hands back in shape and touch up the old work and add some of the work I wanted to do but never got around to back then. After that, who knows?

Am I a scratcher though? Well, not by the standards of back when I learned. What Tom called a scratcher was somebody who hadn't learned to get good lines, couldn't shade, couldn't colour. Not a problem here. LOL When I ran a dinky shop back then out of a spare room of my house that could be locked and set aside strictly for tattoo work, it was inspected by the local board of health and etc. It was as "official" as it needed to be back then.

But by today's use of the term, yeah, I figure the "Oh, you must apprentice with one of us or you are less than dirt" kids, they would probably call me a scratcher now. Not that I'm interested in their opinion on that.

So anyway I'm an old faded skin illustrator from years gone by who let the art fall by the wayside for a couple decades and is taking it back up again. Working my way through the learning curve again to learn the current sterile routines and see what new techniques and fun toys have been invented since "the old days".

Hopefully this will do for an intro, since I can't think of much else that would interest anyone.

FadedInk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The old cuss has landed

Post by UlfrMunr on Sat May 28, 2016 1:55 am

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have a lot of knowledge you could share Smile
UlfrMunr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whippet on Sat May 28, 2016 2:24 am

Welcome faded, your story sounds very familiar. I tattooed from 84 to 96, strictly on a scratcher basis mind, then laid off for 20 years.

Yep, I cleaned off my old stuff too, then decided I needed to invest a little to do it right this time. I'm in the practise stage, hoping to hit live flesh real soon though, currently waiting on local council inspection of studio.

Would be good to see some of your work
Whippet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FadedInk on Sat May 28, 2016 3:28 am

@UlfrMunr: I sure don't know everything. What do know, I can talk about.

@Whippet: Yeah, I decided I was sick of wishing my tattoos hadn't faded, and went looking for ink and needles and etc. I found out that these days you can get whole kits for less than I paid for my machine back in the old days. I figured they might at least be ok for a bit of practice, and honestly.. I wanted to see just how bad they were. LOL I mean, multiple machines and a bunch of supplies for 50$ or so? It's like a train wreck or a car crash. You just have to look.

I ended up ordering one of the Inkstar kits from Hildbrandt that came with 3 machines and black ink (don't need color for practice at first). I was actually surprised that the supplies weren't too bad. Most of the needle sets looked decent enough under magnification, and not much of a way to mess up gloves, grommets and rubber bands. Power supply seems reasonable. But those machines? Welllll....

I'll avoid going into a lot of depth on an intro thread. But there were some things I didn't like about them (and a few things that were just wrong) so I'm in the process of tearing them down and rebuilding them one at a time. If I can get them running how I want, fine and good. If not, it's still fun to try and they didn't cost much.

In their defense, the Inkstar line is sold as being for practice and all 3 machines powered up and ran. With some standard adjustment, they'd do fine for making an orange's mama cry or making the practice skin's father yell "How are you ever goijng to get a job now?".. I think that with the right springs and capacitors and maybe coil rewind or replacement and some elbow grease, they could be ok for some things. Time will tell on that. But let's just say I'm real glad that I wasn't on the receiving end of a tattoo from them just as they came from the box.

I could just work with the one Puma machine, like I did in the old days, changing springs and adjusting to switch it between liner and shader/color. Not ideal, and sure not fast, but it can be done.

I don't have pics of my work. Digital cameras weren't around back then, and the few pics I ever took were lost in moves over the years. On my own skin, I have the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th tattoos I ever did. Nothing great, and my better and more experienced work is walking around on other people's hides. LOL They're faded and old now, and not something I'm so proud to show off anymore. As they get touched up and covered or incorporated into art that I feel is more current for me now, I'll try to get some pics to post. But right now, they all look as old as I feel some mornings, before the coffee. LOL

FadedInk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gaztred on Sat May 28, 2016 8:48 am

Welcome. Pleasure to have you here. I am sure you have some great knowledge and experience to share
gaztred

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tyler300888 on Sat May 28, 2016 9:56 am

Welcome
tyler300888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Loulou on Sat May 28, 2016 11:38 am

welcome
Loulou
Admin

View user profile http://bestattooforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Buddy Boy on Sat May 28, 2016 8:34 pm

Welcome
Buddy Boy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FadedInk on Sun May 29, 2016 9:52 am

Thank you all for the kind reception. This looks like a good place with good folks, it's nice to be here.

FadedInk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by head on Sun May 29, 2016 10:13 am

welcome.....you should post some of your stuff weither it be old or new..i like seeing old tattoos that were done years ago
head

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top