Ooh Betty!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ooh Betty!

Post by Whippet on Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:22 am

4f & 9F (should have used a mag) 12.5cm tall

I tried another portrait working off the stencil and no soft lining. I got some electrum and it seems better for holding stencil on fake skin, some stencil is still visible.

I love that 4F for small details and the 9F was better for softer blends, but a mag would have been quicker (especially for the large black areas). In some places I tried to blend with the 4F (I know...stoopid) and it left alot of needle marks. Also think I had my machines set too slow, more colouring speed than shading, loads of bog.

But...I like it and I felt in the groove doing it (happy place) Smile

Whippet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ooh Betty!

Post by Ketchup Kid on Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:03 am

nice...
who is that?

there's gotta be a way to get the purple off...
Ketchup Kid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tyler300888 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:11 am

looking good whippet.
tyler300888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by head on Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:31 am

looks good
head

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whippet on Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:09 pm

reset818 wrote:nice...
who is that?

there's gotta be a way to get the purple off...

It's Betty Davis...middle aged

Re the stencil marks: I forgot that I actually changed two components, the stencil fluid (to Electrum) and the stencil paper, from cheap thermal stencil paper to Spirit hand-making stencil paper. So not sure what makes the key difference on practise skin. I'll test the permutations later and post the results. But for now i'm pleased to be able to keep a stencil on fake skin throughout the tattoo (however it's happening).
Whippet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Kid on Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:24 pm

thats true the stencil is the worst part of practice rubber

i thought it was betty davis, i only seen the old betty davis and seen not much of her or about her,

but you captured the likeness enough for me to suspect it was her, despite shortcomingss. this is a definately primo portrait.

if you start putting up awesome tattoos, there's definatly gonna be some haters. including me Razz
Ketchup Kid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whippet on Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:17 pm

I definitely feel like I'm finding my way (stumbling even)and every piece is a challenge and a risk - some stuff's working and some ain't, and that's what I need to get over.

Anyway I appreciate your positive comments...cheers!
Whippet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Kid on Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:16 pm

here's one thing whippet, why learn and perfect a skill set of tattooing rubber when you will have to change once you transition to skin? lotta trial and error discovery with the rubber, like whats working and whats not will change once you do real skin. what if you get mislead from all the rubber and pig.

maybe its like riding a bike. but are you going to go straight into someone's skin after rubber practice? you probably know what you are doing and capable of making corrections if need be. either way my money's on you.

the homie who showed me to tattoo in prison does tattos on the outside too. he always told me, don't get too attached to what we do in prison. in the outside world it totally different and i'm gonna have to learn everything all over again and i shouldn't dedicatemyself with these skills and methods too much because i will have to change them if i wanna be serious on the outside. it was true, i think i was more confounded with my first coil machine than someone who was picking it up for the first time, instead of transitioning from crude device and crude methods.

i don't know if this applies to you
Ketchup Kid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whippet on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:25 pm

I'm literally just waiting to get registered. It's taken me a few months to get all the pieces in place but put my application in on Monday and am expecting a visit any day now. For example my sharps bin arrived today, sink was fitted last week, I think I have the right equipment around me, completed an infection control course etc

When I was 18 and tattooing anything that would sit still long enough, no registration, highly suspect hygiene, no skills blah blah...I never thought about 'the law'. I did that for 12 years. This time I just figured do it right in terms of the legals. I know rubbers not skin and I earn jot from tattooing it, but I really believe it's helped me sharpen up my skills and massively increase my confidence. I'm literally gagging to get started for real.

My main aim is to be much better than I was before. Maybe I'll start rounding up the guys (very few women back then) I scarred up, offering them some cover work out of a sense of guilt.

Or maybe not Twisted Evil

Last edited by Whippet on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whippet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whippet on Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:12 am

Whippet wrote:

Re the stencil marks: I forgot that I actually changed two components, the stencil fluid (to Electrum) and the stencil paper, from cheap thermal stencil paper to Spirit hand-making stencil paper. So not sure what makes the key difference on practise skin. I'll test the permutations later and post the results. But for now i'm pleased to be able to keep a stencil on fake skin throughout the tattoo (however it's happening).

I did the tests....it's the electrum that holds the stencil fast to fake skin, allowing multiple wipes before any significant loss of the template. I tried it on the cheap thermal copy paper and does the job grand, just like it did with the spirit hand transfer paper. Give it a good dry time till all the sheen has evaporated.
Whippet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Kid on Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:39 pm

"hey remember me?
i'm the guy that gave you that fucked up tattoo and possibly Hepatitis.
I wanna make it up to you, why don't you come back to my chambers and let me tattoo on you some more. I swear i won't fuck you up this time..."

AWKWARD...
Ketchup Kid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whippet on Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:41 pm

reset818 wrote:"hey remember me?
i'm the guy that gave you that fucked up tattoo and possibly Hepatitis.
I wanna make it up to you, why don't you come back to my chambers and let me tattoo on you some more. I swear i won't fuck you up this time..."

AWKWARD...

If the price was low enough I know some of the plonkers would come back for all the above
Whippet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Kid on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:35 pm

if the price was low?!!
you gonna charge the poor bastards?

thats wouldn't be true reconciliation and atonement. and what if you fuck them up even worse!! haha

not that i think you would.
Ketchup Kid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whippet on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:56 pm

reset818 wrote:and what if you fuck them up even worse!! haha

meh...shit happens
Whippet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dmerit on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:52 pm

Why don't you just fucking tattoo someone and get it over with instead if bleating on all the time about doing it correctly and all that shit,, you're probably already tattooing people anyway... if you are then post some pictures of proper tattoos not this fake skin crap,, its not like real skin...
Dmerit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whippet on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm not tattooing anyone right now...my inspection is set for Wednesday next week, so should start from then.

I agree, fake skin is not real skin, but it's still valid as a practise sufrace, same way a sketch book is, and I heard enough people on here banging on about drawing...I'm just drawing with my machines.

BTW there's a reason I post in 'artwork' and not 'tattoos'.

I've had useful feedback on my work, as in advice on how to improve, if people don't like it it's not an issue, and in the 3-4 months I've been practising I feel I've improved.

I've never done a B&G piece on skin, I tattooed previously with 3RL and sometine single needles, and & 7RS and then 7F for shade and colour...all the time! Basically I knew next to fuck all and I'm amzed anything stuck and people came back for more. You'll remember that for a scratcher back then there was nowhere to get help.

This time there's been no rush and I'm wide open to learning from anyone willing to share, though yeah, I'm keen to get the training wheels off, then you can all rip the shit out of my early stuff (maybe teh later stuff too)...which we all go through. If you wanna tell me anythiung constructive i'm up for it.

Anyway...what advice would you give me on B&G working, particularly about depth and the kind of force (or not) you're hitting the skin with? I dropped a few blocks in my leg at different grey strengths. One bit, the lightest, has scabbed up thick so I guess it's overworked.
Whippet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Kid on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:38 am

wait till your rotary comes, you will see.
with .25 dilute graywash you can do a lot.
Ketchup Kid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whippet on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:50 am

check out 'weekend work' ...some rotary lining on there
Whippet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dmerit on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:28 am

Yawn!!, i couldn't be bothered reading all that,, just the first and last bit,,,, I can't believe you would be so anal as to wait for your inspection before you tattoo anyone??. Who else in here has done that??. And why are you investing a decent amount of money in setting up when you don't know if you will be able to do a decent tattoo on skin at the end of it???. Doesn't make sense to me?. I'm not sure if it's just me,, but do I smell a faint whiff of bullshit.?
Dmerit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marked 4 life on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:15 am

You are doing some nice stuff Whippet but can you pull it off on skin lol! I like you did loads of practice on synthetic skins wrapped around bottles, hung vertically etc to replicate a real tattoo but when it comes to real skin it is totally different and to me does not achieve any where near the same results, my first tattoos on skin I was shaking like a shitting dog to the point that I didnt know if I should touch skin (because of the shakes) even now after 15 months I do still get a little apprehensive before tattooing a stranger for the first time even though I make it clear I am still on a path of learning.

Good luck with the licensing, inspections vary from county to county apparently, mine bombarded me with questions to test my knowledge of hygiene.

marked 4 life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whippet on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:18 am

Cheers Marked4life. The answer to can I do it on skin is 'I have no fucking clue yet' but I'll be giving it a go.

Demerit remember I spent 12 years tattooing, badly most often but still sitting there and getting on with it. Partly my shitty equipment in the past held me back, so investing money i've earned doing other stuff is not a big deal, added up its not all that much. As for "bullshit'', I take that as a bit of a compliment.

As the resident pro I want to look up to you, I imagine you're good, but I've never seen work. How about posting some or PM-ing some.

Whippet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dmerit on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:08 am

Whippet wrote:Cheers Marked4life. The answer to can I do it on skin is 'I have no fucking clue yet' but I'll be giving it a go.

Demerit remember I spent 12 years tattooing, badly most often but still sitting there and getting on with it. Partly my shitty equipment in the past held me back, so investing money i've earned doing other stuff is not a big deal, added up its not all that much. As for "bullshit'', I take that as a bit of a compliment.

As the resident pro I want to look up to you, I imagine you're good, but I've never seen work. How about posting some or PM-ing some.

Lol..same old reply,,,, why would seeing my work improve your own?...

Dmerit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top