Best Tattoo Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grips, tips and tubes.

+2
Whippet
tyler300888
6 posters

Go down

Grips, tips and tubes. Empty Grips, tips and tubes.

Post by tyler300888 Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:23 pm

So what's everyone's preference regarding grips, tips and tubes?

Do you prefer disposables or not? What size grips are your favourite?
tyler300888
tyler300888

Back to top Go down

Grips, tips and tubes. Empty Re: Grips, tips and tubes.

Post by Whippet Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:45 pm

When I first spoke to my EHO she asked if I would be using disposable, and said it was the smart move when I said yes. I liked this as 1) autoclave purchase and maintenance is a bit pricey (me thinks) and 2) I've read a fair bit about Autoclaves failing (no personal experience of course). I love the idea of pre-packed sterile stuff after many years of soldering needle sets and using (looking back) dubiously 'clean' stainless tubes. I feel ashamed of how I was operating re hygiene back then.

I've used cheap Chinese packaged combos but have bought from Killer Ink for real work.

After the Chinese 19mm tubes I opted for the same from Killer, I guess I'm used to them. With a Rotary works ID liner in Aluminium the whole set up for lining is ultra-light.

I'm interested to know what the advantages are with thick grips, as I did try a couple and I found them awkward. Admittedly they were very heavy stainless tubes (practise only) and I didn't persevere after an hour or so...my lining went out of whack.

No experience with carts and very wary after some of the negative comments posted on here.
Whippet
Whippet

Back to top Go down

Post by tyler300888 Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:17 pm

Iv always used pretty much the 19mm rubber disposables but every now and again I fancy using a good old stainless grip and tube.

Iv got an ultrasonic, autoclave and pouches so I'm pretty confident that after a good clean up/sterilization that there good to go.

I had some ultra tubes come in the post today from killer, I ordered the thicker grips to give em a go so will update once used them.
tyler300888
tyler300888

Back to top Go down

Post by FadedInk Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:13 pm

I like the 5/8 inch (about 16mm) black black rubber disposables where the tip, grip and tube are all one unit, EO sterilized. So far they are about my favourite new thing, since it wasn't an option years ago.

My old gear is one piece stainless steel grip/tube/tip, with a knurled grip that is about 11.6 mm, the new cushy rubber ones are very nice just a little thicker. Very light, compared to the old ones.

I did try the big aluminum grips (1 inchers) with a stainless steel tube and disposable tips, but it's just too thick to handle "right" for me. They seem to be poplar, but for me they just don't work right for being able to turn the machine to follow curves and etc. I also noticed too much of a tendency with the big wide grips to let the machine rest on the back of the hand, which was a "no-no" back when I was learning.

I have an ultrasound, but not an autoclave. Years ago, boiling tubes and needles sets and then leaving them for a minimum number of hours soaking in benzalkonium chloride solution was considered acceptable by the board of health. I doubt it would be acceptable these days, and the state board of health where I live has a definite preference for single use disposable tips and needles, and says EO sterilized is fine. So I won't even mess with an autoclave. Disposables are cheap enough and I like the concept a lot.

So far all I've tried are the cheap China ones, but I check everything under high magnification when it comes in to sort out any that I don't like the look of for "not for use on anything alive" and check them again right before use. I've been quite surprised at how few I have to sort out, most of what I've gotten so far has looked quite good. Maybe 1 out of 20 that had blunted or hook points or a nick on the shaft of one of the needles where I'd rather not trust it on live skin.

But no matter what country needle sets come from, I'd still check them with at least say, 25x magnification before thinking of using them for tattooing. I used to make all my own sets, so I consider myself rather picky on the soldering and etc, but I have been pleasantly surprised for the most part. So far, anyway.

Back to the topic, though.. the disposable tubes/grips/tips I've gotten have also been looking good under magnification. Ones that look a bit rough, well they're for practice skin or fruit only. Not many of them have fallen in that category though, so even on practice materials what I end up using is mostly good enough for live skin, in my opinion. Not that I'm complaining.

FadedInk

Back to top Go down

Post by easy31st Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:54 pm

I use the ruthless 1 inch grips from monster steel. They're pretty good and the price is very good. $25 for 50 they're of good quality too. The tubes are clear plastic and the grips are nice heavy rubber, you'll feel the difference if you've used the Chinese ones. I usually wrap a paper towel around the grip to make it a little bit thicker. I find my self squeezing those smaller grips extra hard. The bigger grips allow me to relax my hand while I tattoo, I don't feel the need to hold them so tight.
easy31st
easy31st

Back to top Go down

Post by Whippet Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:57 pm

You have a link?

Just had a quick look, on ebay UK they're more than double what you're paying £52 = $69
Whippet
Whippet

Back to top Go down

Post by easy31st Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:25 pm

Whippet wrote:You have a link?

Just had a quick look, on ebay UK they're more than double what you're paying £52 = $69
https://www.monstersteel.com/products/50-pcs-1-ruthless-sterile-black-disposable-tattoo-grips-25mm
easy31st
easy31st

Back to top Go down

Post by Whippet Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:26 pm

Checked it out but with the shipping to the UK it is expensive, which is a pity as the stuff looks good for the money.
Whippet
Whippet

Back to top Go down

Post by Loulou Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:48 pm

at the moment im using eikon , sabre and artists choice i dont really give a shit as long as its a decent grip lol
Loulou
Loulou
Admin

https://bestattooforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by painkiller Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:18 pm

I use disposables 25mm. I have never tried anything else. and I dont know if the others feel better like people say but a) I dont want to have to clean,ultrasonic and autoclave all these grips every day and b) customers really enjoy to see that I open everything brand new for them and only....I also sleep better at nights knowing I couldnt have had a non 100% sterille grip
painkiller
painkiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down