Best Tattoo Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tattooing from the wrist

+4
Loulou
Ketchup Kid
Mr.Martian
marked 4 life
8 posters

Go down

Tattooing from the wrist Empty Tattooing from the wrist

Post by marked 4 life Sat May 21, 2016 6:55 pm

One thing I have noticed about how I tattoo and what I think is holding me back is tattooing from the wrist and not the elbow/shoulder, even though I am aware of this particularly when tattooing long lines I tend to stop / start a line instead of sliding my hand in a continuous motion, I have tried Vaseline on the glove but still doesnt really help me, I also think that perhaps I am holding the grip too tight, anyone else had these problems and how did you overcome them.

marked 4 life

Back to top Go down

Tattooing from the wrist Empty Re: Tattooing from the wrist

Post by Mr.Martian Sun May 22, 2016 12:22 am

Yea, I've the same problem. Only seem to make a line travel as far as wrist allows, get stuck if try to use the whole arm... Sorry, no solutions here, just sticking hand up too.
Mr.Martian
Mr.Martian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.Martian Sun May 22, 2016 12:27 am

I think I was holding the grip too tight until I started holding a scrunched up kitchen tissue/towll (wots it called?) in the hand as well as the grip. Seemed to help loosen my hold.
Mr.Martian
Mr.Martian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Kid Sun May 22, 2016 12:47 am

I think that's what the bigger tube grips are supposed to help you with. but I don't like the 1 inch or bigger. the smaller feel better to me but also maybe more unstable, but more control.

a little wrist is better than fingers moving, the grips I think àre designed for this. I just don't like the way they feel if too fat. seems like everyone is using the fat grips now, correct me if I'm wrong about this whole thing.
Ketchup Kid
Ketchup Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Loulou Sun May 22, 2016 1:57 pm

i think people over think lining from the wrist , i use my shoulder more when im doing long lines , if im doing shorter lines i use my left hand to stretch and as a kind of pivot base if that makes sense ? so im resting the heel of my right hand in the gap between my thumb and index fingers on my left hand , its prob hard to picture , and i think it something i picked up from merit but its gives you more stability
Loulou
Loulou
Admin

https://bestattooforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by head Sun May 22, 2016 4:15 pm

i do both but i can't tell you what i do more off wrist or elbow/shoulder cos i don't really take much notice lol
head
head

Back to top Go down

Post by marked 4 life Sun May 22, 2016 7:16 pm

Mr.Martian wrote:I think I was holding the grip too tight until I started holding a scrunched up kitchen tissue/towll (wots it called?) in the hand as well as the grip. Seemed to help loosen my hold.
I tried that this afternoon, my grip was quite small so I fastened a folded up paper towel around it to bulk it out, also wrapped a towel around my machine hand fingers to wipe (dont usually do this) and it does loosen the hand on the grip and the damp towel does help the slide of the hand, just need to get grips with wrapping the paper towel around my fingers without it falling in bits when wet, getting there slowly Wink

marked 4 life

Back to top Go down

Post by Whippet Mon May 23, 2016 12:17 am

I'm still practising on fake skin and pigskin BUT I recognise the problem.

I find that if I'm working on a piece, even practise, that I start tense and I'm all wrist. I under pull on lots of stencil lines and my curves develop flats in them.

However, If things start going well I start flowing more from the elbow and pull longer lines, more fluid curves.

It's one thing knowing the theory (line and colour pack from the elbow) but stress can really impede us. It's a tricky balance, some stress shows you want to get it right, but a little too much and human nature kicks in and we tighten up.

I do find that rehearsing some lines can help, hovering the machine over the line before going in. Though I guess too much of this with a customer and you'll get some questions.
Whippet
Whippet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.Martian Mon May 23, 2016 10:35 am

marked 4 life wrote:
Mr.Martian wrote:I think I was holding the grip too tight until I started holding a scrunched up kitchen tissue/towll (wots it called?) in the hand as well as the grip. Seemed to help loosen my hold.
I tried that this afternoon, my grip was quite small so I fastened a folded up paper towel around it to bulk it out, also wrapped a towel around my machine hand fingers to wipe (dont usually do this) and it does loosen the hand on the grip and the damp towel does help the slide of the hand, just need to get grips with wrapping the paper towel around my fingers without it falling in bits when wet, getting there slowly Wink

That's good it the paper towel helped.
Sorry, I didn't articulate it well enough, I mean so the ball of towel is held in your palm by the 2 smallest fingers and the grip held as you would normally over them.

Ha ! actually, just googled to find an image but only came up with it being related to teaching children to ease the grip on their pencils whilst learning to write.. http://www.teachingace.com/pencil-grip-tip/ -- just switch the rubber ball for bunch of paper towel and that's what this child is doing, and seems to help!
Mr.Martian
Mr.Martian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.Martian Mon May 23, 2016 10:38 am

PS and I use a 30mm grip ..
Mr.Martian
Mr.Martian

Back to top Go down

Post by marked 4 life Mon May 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Mr.Martian wrote:
marked 4 life wrote:

That's good it the paper towel helped.
Sorry, I didn't articulate it well enough, I mean so the ball of towel is held in your palm by the 2 smallest fingers and the grip held as you would normally over them.

Ha ! actually, just googled to find an image but only came up with it being related to teaching children to ease the grip on their pencils whilst learning to write.. http://www.teachingace.com/pencil-grip-tip/ -- just switch the rubber ball for bunch of paper towel and that's what this child is doing, and seems to help!
Good tips there, I used a paper towel wrapped around my ring finger and pinky, it wraps around a couple of times so in effect would give a similar effect as holding the rubber ball Smile

marked 4 life

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.Martian Mon May 23, 2016 12:50 pm

ah, got yer. Will try that
Mr.Martian
Mr.Martian

Back to top Go down

Post by FadedInk Sat May 28, 2016 3:46 am

It is possible to line from the wrist, at least much of the time. Think about the line before you make it and try a couple "rehearsals" in the air above the skin to make sure you actually have your hand in a good position to comfortably do the line. Don't hesitate to move to another position to get a better angle on the line, either.

Long lines are only rarely necessary where the line absolutely has to be a single stroke. Consider the design and look for places where there will be shading or line sculpting or another line joining so you can break the long line up there into smaller pieces that are easier to do.

You can only make a good line so long before you have to re-ink the needle anyway.

FadedInk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Kid Mon May 30, 2016 4:18 am

FadedInk wrote:It is possible to line from the wrist, at least much of the time.  Think about the line before you make it and try a couple "rehearsals" in the air above the skin to make sure you actually have your hand in a good position to comfortably do the line.  Don't hesitate to move to another position to get a better angle on the line, either.

Long lines are only rarely necessary where the line absolutely has to be a single stroke.  Consider the design and look for places where there will be shading or line sculpting or another line joining so you can break the long line up there into smaller pieces that are easier to do.

You can only make a good line so long before you have to re-ink the needle anyway.  

i do how you describe with wrist and i also sometimes run out of ink mid line if its too long
Ketchup Kid
Ketchup Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by GM74 Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:51 pm

I agree you can always work your piece around details and your abilities when you draw it up. If you cant draw it in one motion you cant wrist the machine. Chances are a super long line won't be a thin 3 or 5 either so line it first with that then scuddle the edges to build it up to a nice thickness. Personally I like a super fast hard hitting liner as you can move quicker if you are wristing. I use a fat heavy grip and prefer larger ones these days, I found light small grips when wristing to be to free flowing, the weight of the larger grip steadys everything including your speed. Those are some things that helped me some.

GM74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down